Tuesday 9 September 2014

Representation

What group do you belong to?
I believe I am part of multiple groups, having aspects from different areas of each, I am determined to succeed and hard working to get what I want in life. This takes aspects from the 'Get paid crew' which is described as "The get Paid Crew have two main goals in life – to make money and be their own boss. Motivated, resourceful and determined". I am inspired by YouTubers who have built up their own business by doing what they love and now get to travel the world and have unique chances that they may not have had before they started making YouTube videos.

[The Shaytards, a YouTube family who have gone from debt filled lives where they were so short of money they had to steal toilet paper from taco bell, to co-creating a YouTube business 'Maker studios' which just sold to Disney for millions of pounds.]
I can also see a representation of myself within the 'Townies who are not defined by a single thing. They are described to like following the recent trends and not having a single defining shop that they go to but instead picking up things that appeal to them from a variety of places. Also it describes them to listen to the latest number one song which is a lot like myself as I do not have a single genre of music that I am particularly into unlike some other groups.

Finally, I see myself within the 'Tumblr kids' group in the aspect of 'it’s all about re-blogging images that show a window into their world'. I wouldn't describe myself as a brave person who is willing to try out new things and to 'start a trend' but to instead find parts of other groups that fit into what I like. From this group I am less about the 'complete exposure' and more about taking the best bits from the different groups.



What media figures are similar to you, do you model yourself on them?
I don't believe that I model myself on a media figure such as a celebrity or musician, as you never really know the true person that they represent. Even with famous YouTubers that daily vlog their lives you only ever get to see a few minutes of their 24 hour day which is a very small snippet. This means that they may not be the people that you see them as and therefore you should not aspire to be like them as you mostly only get to see the positive moments of their life.
Therefore I believe that I do not model myself on anyone famous and instead look to family/friends for the way I should act and who I should aspire to be. I believe that the person I am is influenced by my friends in particular, for example I use words that I wouldn't before because the people I surround myself with commonly use them; also I am influenced by their likes and dislikes.


I do not believe that I model myself on a media figure in the way that I dress completely but I  take inspiration from their recommendations and new trends. For example, I like to watch YouTube haul videos which is where the person shows what they have brought recently and is often what is on trend at the time. I do not want to buy these clothes because I want to be like this person but because it shows me clothes that I maybe before wouldn't have known about or make me want to go to a shop to get a particular piece of clothing that I really like in a shop I wouldn't normally go into.

Clothes taken from Zoella (left) and Niomi Smart (right), YouTube channels.

No comments:

Post a Comment